How to create a deck on a budget
If you think your dream decked area is out of reach, then think again. Creating that perfect place for relaxation or entertainment doesn’t have to cost the earth. Here at Ecodek, we’ve put together a few tips that may help you get the garden you’ve always dreamed of:
- First and foremost, plan! Planning makes perfect so take the time to put together a detailed decking project plan – it’ll pay dividends in the long run.
- Deciding where to put your decking is key. This will enable you to measure the area accurately and calculate how much decking you need – this will help minimise waste and save you money.
- Choose an ‘unpopular’ time of year to have your decking installed! This should mean you have a wider choice of reputable installers who will charge a reasonable price. If you choose a ‘popular’ time of year your choice will be much more limited, and you may end up paying over the odds for the only installer left available!
- If you are installing your decking yourself, do your research first. Watch videos, read the instructions and ask for advice before you start. You don’t want to have to pay someone to correct your mistakes!
- When it comes to choosing your decking, buying the cheapest on the market may not be your best option. If you want your new decked area to last, it may be more prudent to choose a quality decking that will not need replacing in a few years’ time. Wood Plastic Composite decking boards, such as those manufactured by Ecodek, have been specifically designed to withstand the elements – and the test of time. So although the initial monetary outlay may be more, you will be saving in the long run.
- Choosing a wood composite decking board that is solid will also help your decked area to look good longer. Solid wood composite boards are not only stronger and more durable than their hollow alternatives, but they also allow for a more flexible approach to installation, as installers (or you!) do not need to worry about screw placement. This means fitting times are reduced, saving you money on the installation process.
- It is a good idea to think beyond the installation of your new decking, to ongoing maintenance and care. If you choose timber decking boards you will need to factor in the cost of treatments and paints, as well as regular cleans. Alternatively, Wood Plastic Composite decking is virtually maintenance-free, requiring only the occasional wash and no treatments at all. Not only will this save you money in the future, but it will also save you time – so you can enjoy your garden, rather than working in it!
Hopefully, we’ve persuaded you to pursue the garden of your dreams! However, if you want any advice or guidance on where to start, call Ecodek today for a no obligation chat with one of our experts.