How To Clean Composite Decking - Ecodek's Top FAQ's
Ecodek has been designed to be a very low maintenance product, and with our industry leading warranties, it is a system that will last in your outdoor space for years to come. We do however get a lot of questions surrounding how to clean our composite decking, so we thought we would put our top frequently ask questions and answers together for you in one place!
How to fix a composite decking mould problem?
If you see dark spots on the surface of the deck, it may be the start of a mold/fungal infection. Firstly you must clean the deck with a WPC cleaner, mould will only grow on the surface of a deck if there is dirt/debris in the first place. It is very important you apply an anti-fungal solution to the surface immediately to prevent any infection spreading.
Anti-fungal deck/patio washes are readily available from any DIY store, however we do recommend Simply Gone and Wet & Forget. For best results, please follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Whilst applying, please keep young children and pets away from the area that is being treated. Once the solution has dried the area will be safe to use as normal including after rainfall or washing of the surface.
Simply Gone or any other anti-fungal washes are harmful to aquatic life and must not be allowed to enter ponds and any other water system. Be kind to the environment and store any remaining solution until needed.
How to remove stains from composite decking boards?
If you discover any difficult to remove stains, please contact our Technical Department for advice on how best to remove. Please do not use a jet wash or harsh chemicals as they may cause damage to the surface.
How to remove paint from decking boards?
Paint can be difficult to remove from composite decking unless you know the specific type of paint that has been used. We therefore advise that you contact a member of our technical team for further support.
How do you clean a composite deck without a pressure washer?
To clean your composite decking, we recommend Saicos to get rid of dirt and grime. To ensure you achieve the best possible results, we advise you follow the steps below:
- Remove all furniture and other items from the decked area.
- Sweep the decking to remove all leaves and other debris.
- Clean all debris from gaps between boards to allow for proper drainage.
- Make up the cleaning solution as directed on the bottle and apply to the surface of the decking using a soft mop, or very soft nylon bristle brush, and gently work into the surface. Allow the solution to site for 15-20 minutes.
- Go over the surface again with any remaining solution and immediately rinse off the solution using a garden hosepipe ensuring all the solution is removed.
- Do not be tempted to use a jet wash. Using our recommended WPC cleaner and a common garden hose is more than enough to clean and restore your Ecodek decking and you may risk damaging the deck surface due to the high pressure some jet wash machines can produce.
- Let the decking fully dry before putting any furniture and other accessories back.
For further information on our composite decking or for other care and maintenance queries, please contact a member of our team.