Students see recycling in action at Ecodek…
Last week we welcomed back Coleg Cambria lecturer Gary Abnett to our ecodek WPC manufacturing site in Wrexham. Gary brought his Level 3 Uniformed Public Service students with him.
The visit last week from the students was a follow up visit to Gary’s half day work placement as part of his teacher training. Gary first visited us back in March as part of his professional development Welsh Baccalaureate Challenges. You can revisit our blog on his visit at the time here.
Two groups of students (roughly 30 in total) accompanied Gary on his most recent visit. Part of the course they are undertaking includes looking at how waste products are recycled and what is possible with the resulting material. As they have been researching plastics pollution and options for reduction, prevention and re-use, Ecodek is a perfect fit for a practical demonstration!
The students were taken on a tour of the production and mezzanine floor by our Quality and Training Manager Russell William, who gave them ample opportunity for note taking! The entire process was explained; from receipt of raw materials to the final extruded profile itself. Russ also explained how all monitor electricity and water usage throughout the process to meet our obligations under our company and environmental policies.
A tour of the stores area and the internal recycling stations followed, including an explanation of the amount recycled and how close the company is to achieving a zero landfill status.
To test what the students had taken away from the tour, Russ hit them with a Q&A session with the following being some of the
Ecodek Topics covered:
- Nurdles and the effect of plastics on the environment (Blue Planet).
- Where the wood comes from and how it is all FSC approved (What FSC means and the CoC system used)
- How our product is 95% recycled and 100% recyclable.
- How we buy back any unused or scrap material from our customers and then re-work it back into the product.
- The recycling of all our waste products…. Bulk bags, polythene, paper/cardboard, wood dust, swarf, pallets etc.
- Lifespan of the product.
- Our commitment as a company to the environment.
We enjoyed hosting the groups here and seeing their reaction to the Ecodek ethos, and hope that Gary and his students found the sessions interesting, informative and inspiring!